SubjectRe: What is the limit size of tmpfs /dev/shm ?
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> That sounds like a problem in our overall swap handling, not specifically in
> tmpfs. Now, I can't say anything concrete about heavy swap conditions, but in
> light swap conditions I have measured a 20x performance improvement(!) over
> ext3 on real workloads.

Wow, I'm surprised. I suppose I do jump to thinking of heavy swapping
when light swapping won't be so bad; but even so, 20x ext3 astonishes
me - ext3 wouldn't be anyone's choice for fastest, but even so...

I certainly guess too much and measure too little:
is there a useful test you could point me to? TIA

Hugh

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans