SubjectRe: a7839e96 (PNP: increase max resources) breaks my ALSA intel8x0 sound card

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> > - PnP/ACPI resource allocation *after* it, but before driver loading
> > (which wll cause new resources to be allocated). This could be
> > fs_initcall, or whatever (that's what things like "acpi_event_init"
> > already do).
>
> If we put the PNP system driver here, we can easily do a quirk that
> ignores PNP resources that overlap PCI resources.

No, you don't need any quirks: you just do an "insert_resource()" and
ignore the error return. If the (bogus) PnP resource clashes with the
(correct) hardware PCI resource, the insert will simply fail. No quirks
needed.

> But it's kind of
> ugly to have the ACPI PCI root driver early and other PNP drivers
> later because they're basically similar animals.

No they are not.

If one does just device enumeration, and the other does resource
registrations, then they ARE NOT similar animals at all. Don't claim that
they are.

Linus

  Last update: 2008-02-05 19:17    [W:2.187 / U:0.132 seconds]