    SubjectRe: [git pull] x86 arch updates for v2.6.25
    John Stoffel wrote:

    > Linus> So I'd merge a patch that puts oops information (or the whole
    > Linus> console printout) in the Intel management stuff in a
    > Linus> heartbeat.
    >
    > How about we put in some sort of console logging tool so we can buffer
    > and log the console output better? Currently if I have both a serial
    > and tty console defined, my GDM prompter looses the mouse until I goto
    > the XDMCP chooser and back again.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure it's a GDM problem, since Xdm doesn't have this issue
    > at all. Haven't had time to chase it though.
    >
    > In any case, having some way to log oopses better would be really
    > nice. Not sure how we could do it reliably for suspend/resume needs
    > on laptops without dedicated management hardware like the ILOM stuff
    > on Intel/Sun boxes.

    Hm. Dumping oops information plus perhaps even a memory dump to a USB
    key sounds like it would be highly useful - lots of storage capacity,
    readily available, and can be plugged into just about any system.

    I don't know if the backdoor debugging mode in EHCI can be used for
    that. Either way, this would have to be done *very* carefully to avoid
    clobbering USB devices not intended for this purpose.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2008-02-05 18:57    [W:0.022 / U:59.036 seconds]