    SubjectRe: Integration of SCST in the mainstream Linux kernel

    On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > For years I have been hoping that someone will invent a simple protocol (w/
    > strong auth) that can transit ATA and SCSI commands and responses. Heck, it
    > would be almost trivial if the kernel had a TLS/SSL implementation.

    Why would you want authorization? If you don't use IP (just ethernet
    framing), then 99% of the time the solution is to just trust the subnet.

    So most people would never want TLS/SSL, and the ones that *do* want it
    would probably also want IP routing, so you'd actually be better off with
    a separate higher-level bridging protocol rather than have TLS/SSL as part
    of the actual packet protocol.

    So don't add complexity. The beauty of ATA-over-ethernet is exactly that
    it's simple and straightforward.

    (Simple and straightforward is also nice for actually creating devices
    that are the targets of this. I just *bet* that an iSCSI target device
    probably needs two orders of magnitude more CPU power than a simple AoE
    thing that can probably be done in an FPGA with no real software at all).

    Whatever. We have now officially gotten totally off topic ;)

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-05 00:31    [W:0.023 / U:1.376 seconds]