    SubjectRe: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    > Datum: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:42:32 +0000
    > Von: Mel Gorman <>
    > An: Gerhard Pircher <>
    > CC:,
    > Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

    > > > err, that doesn't sound very healthy.
    > >
    > > Yeah, I know. But the platform code hasn't changed much when porting it
    > > from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc. That's why I'm a little bit lost in this
    > > case. :-)
    > >
    > I'm at a bit of a loss to guess what might have changed in powerpc code
    > that would explain this. I've added the linuxppc-dev mailing list in
    > case they can make a guess.
    Yes, I'll try to get some comments on the linuxppc-dev mailing list.

    > I think you are also going to need to start bisecting searching
    > specifically for the patch that causes these overwrites.
    I think I had a similar problem with kernel v2.6.23, too and therefore
    waited for kernel 2.6.24. So the problem may exist since a long time.

    > It's a virtual address so it depends on the value of CONFIG_KERNEL_START
    > as to whether this is a user program address or not.
    AFAIK start_kernel() is called very early in the boot process, were no
    user or kernel thread is active. I also wonder why the kernel crashes when
    the mem boot option is used. Let's see what the linuxppc-dev people say.

    Thanks for your help!

    Der kann`s mit allen:

      Last update: 2008-02-04 23:23    [W:0.030 / U:1.040 seconds]