SubjectRe: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:42:32 +0000
> Von: Mel Gorman <mel@csn.ul.ie>
> An: Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher@gmx.net>
> CC: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, linuxppc-dev@ozlabs.org
> Betreff: Re: Commit for mm/page_alloc.c breaks boot process on my machine

> > > err, that doesn't sound very healthy.
> >
> > Yeah, I know. But the platform code hasn't changed much when porting it
> > from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc. That's why I'm a little bit lost in this
> > case. :-)
> >

> I'm at a bit of a loss to guess what might have changed in powerpc code
> that would explain this. I've added the linuxppc-dev mailing list in
> case they can make a guess.
Yes, I'll try to get some comments on the linuxppc-dev mailing list.

> I think you are also going to need to start bisecting searching
> specifically for the patch that causes these overwrites.
I think I had a similar problem with kernel v2.6.23, too and therefore
waited for kernel 2.6.24. So the problem may exist since a long time.

> It's a virtual address so it depends on the value of CONFIG_KERNEL_START
> as to whether this is a user program address or not.
AFAIK start_kernel() is called very early in the boot process, were no
user or kernel thread is active. I also wonder why the kernel crashes when
the mem boot option is used. Let's see what the linuxppc-dev people say.

Thanks for your help!

Gerhard