    SubjectRe: data corruption with dmcrypt/LUKS
    Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
    > <when I diff -q -r /mnt/unencrypted /mnt/encrypted/ here, everything is
    > ok but this is just, because those files are still cached in RAM>
    > <unmount + close mapping + reboot>
    > <create mappings and mount everything again>
    > Here's the first problem:
    > 1) When I now diff the two versions again (the unencrypted and the one
    > from the encrypted partition) I get differences...
    > I'm quite sure that this is not due to damaged RAM or harddisk (checked
    > several times with memtest and badblocks) and the corruption is always
    > the same, although not fully reproducibly.
    > The filesystem tree itself seems to be the same on both discs (but I'm
    > not sure if the permissions and owners are copied correctly), but there
    > are differences in some (though not all) files.
    > The difference is always the same, that for one or more bytes of the
    > affected files, the hexcode is reduced by 0x10
    > That is:
    > If the file contains a byte "T" (0x74) on the unencrypted partition it
    > will have a "D" (0x64) on the encrypted.

    Are you sure, that your USB-stick is not faulty ?
    Could you reproduce it with different piece of hw ?
    (Several strange reports for dm-crypt over USB were identified to be
    USB hw faults.)

    > 2) The second bug happens only rarely and leads to a panic.
    > Unfortunately it's difficult to reproduce, but it always happened when I
    > mkfs.ext3 on the /dev/mapper/sda2.
    > There's a stack-trace printed which clearly involves some dmcrypt
    > lines...

    But no stack trace attached here... please attach it.

    It can be known bug which was fixed in stable version some time ago

    > btw: are there any other currently known bugs in dmcrypt? Or is it
    > considered as "production stable"?

    No known bugs causing data corruption, no such reports so far
    for stable kernel.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-03 23:09    [W:0.021 / U:69.844 seconds]