SubjectRe: Interactivity issue in 2.6.25-rc3
Please keep all CCs. Others that will read lkml later will want to
know what you found out.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Carlos R. Mafra <crmafra2@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu 28.Feb'08 at 11:54:04 -0800, Ray Lee wrote:

> > > yes, but this means you run the soft-3D driver under Xorg, right? That
> > > is known to starve its clients. The stats you sent show no worse than a
> > > few tens of msecs delays caused by CPU scheduling itself:
> > >
> > > mrxvt (3730, #threads: 1)
> > > se.wait_max : 18.679129
> > >

> Thanks Ingo!
>
> Hm, but I remember that my desktop became unusable. I was experiencing
> latencies _much_ higher than msecs. But I think I have an explanation
> for this low number, if you excuse my attempt to understand this.
>
> Could it be that your debug script generated these numbers while
> fgfs was being killed, and then it felt no more the bad latencies
> fgfs was causing?
>
> This was the first scenario:
>
> 1) Start 'fgfs' as normal user.
>
> 2) Wait a few seconds until fgfs' message "loading scenery objects"
> appeared.
>
> 3) Everything becomes _very_ slow (measured in seconds, not msecs),
> so I notice something is wrong (at least I thought it was).
>
> 4) Killed fgfs with Ctrl-c.
>
> 5) I go to Ingo's page and download his debug scripts.
>
> 6) Preparing for the battle to follow, I run cfs-debug-info-clear.sh
>
> 7) Start 'fgfs' and system becomes slow while loading scenery objects.
>
> 8) I try to reach the mrxvt terminal to run cfs-debug-info.sh. Each
> letter I type takes seconds to appear.
>
> 9) I manage to start cfs-debug-info.sh. I could read the first line after
> a few seconds:
>
> sched info dump (of tasks, modules, hw, dmesg, config, fs):
>
> But I am sure I did not see the
> "gathering statistics for 15 seconds ..."
>
> As that was the first time ever that I used this script, I didn't
> even know what I was supposed to do, but I was waiting for more
> than a minute and nothing happened.
>
> 10) I managed to change tab and kill fgfs with Crtl-c.
>
> 11) I got back to the debug script tab and waited a few seconds
> for it to finish.
>
> 12) That is the debug log which I put in the page mentioned in the
> first email.
>
> I am sorry to especulate about it, but maybe the script got the
> latencies after (or meanwhile) I was killing fgfs.
>

> > Also, please try disabling the group scheduler and run the test again.
> > The group scheduler has known bad interactivity issues. Also be on the
> > watch for any abnormally high disk activity, to rule out starvation
> > due to the kernel choosing poor candidates for swap-in/swap-out.
> > (Running a vmstat 1 in a console ahead of time and watching for high
> > IO Wait -- the last column printed -- will give you a good indicator
> > other than the drive LED.)
>
> I have rebooted and tried to repeat the experiment, but I couldn't
> reproduce the bad interactivity I reported earlier. Flightgear
> loaded the scenery (which it did not do before) and the airplane
> appeared in the screen. The game was slow, but I had a very good
> [...]

Ingo will have to answer the scheduler part of that.

But it's good to keep in mind that the scheduler can't do anything
about slowdowns due to tasks being swapped out or waiting on reads
from the disk. I mention this as shortly after CFS got into mainline,
something changed in the VM that seems to make my system spend a lot
more time in IO wait, causing the system to be much less responsive
than it used to be.

Unfortunately it seems to be dependent upon the history of what tasks
I've run and their memory usage, so it's been hard to come up with a
reproducible test case (well that and a complete lack of time). All I
can say is that I've seen what you've reported as well, though it had
nothing to do with using any 3d applications, just a browser, editor,
gcc, etc.

Ray

  Last update: 2008-02-28 22:31    [W:0.061 / U:0.908 seconds]