    SubjectRe: SO_REUSEADDR not allowing server and client to use same port
    On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:19:26PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Currently, Linux does not allow reuse of same local port for both TCP server and
    > > TCP client. I understand that there may be a need to prevent two servers from
    >
    > Think about what happens for simultaneous connect (that obscure little
    > corner of the tcp/ip spec). Now think about what it means for security.
    >
    > ALan

    exactly. That's why I think that requiring the server to explicitly allow
    socket reuse is mandatory. On another side of the problem, I really think
    that we should make the simultaneous connect configurable. I've been patching
    all of my own 2.4 kernels for a while to add a config option to turn it off
    because there is a real security issue with this on. At least for mainline,
    it should be a sysctl. No stateful firewall I know supports the feature, so
    legitimate uses of this feature are likely very very small.

    Willy

      Last update: 2008-02-28 21:45    [W:0.021 / U:0.124 seconds]