    SubjectRe: [patch 2/6] mmu_notifier: Callbacks to invalidate address ranges
    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > Well, xpmem requirements are complex. As as side effect of the
    > simplicity of my approach, my patch is 100% safe since #v1. Now it
    > also works for GRU and it cluster invalidates.

    The patch has to satisfy RDMA, XPMEM, GRU and KVM. I keep hearing that we
    have a KVM only solution that works 100% (which makes me just switch
    ignore the rest of the argument because 100% solutions usually do not
    exist).

    > rcu_read_lock), no "atomic" parameters, and it doesn't open a window
    > where sptes have a view on older pages and linux pte has view on newer
    > pages (this can happen with remap_file_pages with my KVM swapping
    > patch to use V8 Christoph's patch).

    Ok so you are now getting away from keeping the refcount elevated? That
    was your design decision....

    > > Also, how to you resolve the case where you are not allowed to sleep?
    > > I would have thought either you have to handle it, in which case nobody
    > > needs to sleep; or you can't handle it, in which case the code is
    > > broken.
    >
    > I also asked exactly this, glad you reasked this too.

    It would have helped if you would have repeated my answers that you had
    already gotten before. You knew I was on vacation....

      Last update: 2008-02-27 23:43    [W:0.021 / U:63.476 seconds]