    SubjectRe: [patch 5/6] mempolicy: add MPOL_F_RELATIVE_NODES flag
    On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 11:44 -0600, Paul Jackson wrote:
    > David,
    > Perhaps I missed it, but could you elaborate on what sort of testing
    > these patches for MPOL_F_RELATIVE_NODES and MPOL_F_STATIC_NODES have
    > received?
    > The main reason I didn't push my version of these patches in December
    > was I figured it would take a week or three of obsessive-compulsive
    > testing to verify that we didn't break various corner cases of the
    > mbind/mempolicy system call interface.
    > In particular, do we know that Oracle works with this? At least in
    > years past, when Andi was the primary developer here, he had some
    > good and detailed awareness of what it took to keep Oracle happy
    > with this NUMA memory policy apparatus. I don't know if we still
    > have that awareness.

    I've recently been "playing with" Andi's numactl/libnuma/mempolicy
    regression tests on 25-rc2-mm1. I found a couple of problems caused by
    changes in behavior on newer kernels--not in the mempolicy area, but in
    a couple of the tests themselves and in numastat, used by the primary
    mempolicy regression test. I haven't seen any discussion of these
    issues on the mailing lists, or I missed it. So, I've attempted my own

    I have placed a tarball containing patches against numactl-1.0.2 sources

    See the patch descriptions for more info. The individual patches and
    series live in the same Numactl directory for easy browsing.

    The numactl-1.0.2 sources are located in Andi's repository at:

    With [3(1) of] these patches, the regression tests pass on my x86_64
    NUMA test platform [4 socket/node, dual core, 32GB] on 2.6.25-rc2-mm1
    with and without Mel Gorman's "two zonelist" patch series. I haven't
    gotten around to checking out David's latest series yet, nor have I
    tried Andi's tests with cpusets. I don't know whether the tests will
    pass in arbitrary cpusets--I expect not. It's on my list. In any case,
    you can grab the patches if you want to regression test your own

    (1) patches required for regression tests:

    regress-01-reorg-and-annotate.patch is just a "beautification" [in the
    eye of the beholder, of course] patch so that I could figure out what
    was going on.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-26 22:29    [W:0.023 / U:0.368 seconds]