SubjectRe: [linux-pm] Fundamental flaw in system suspend, exposed by freezer removal
David Brownell wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 February 2008, David Newall wrote:
>
>> Hardware can be inserted and removed while we're in a suspend state; and
>> there's nothing that we can do about it until we resume. Is it fair to
>> say, then, that having started suspend, we could reasonably ignore any
>> device insertion and removal, and handle it on resume?
>>

> "Ignore" seems a bit strong; those events may be wakeup triggers,
> which would cause the hardware to make it a very short suspend state.
>
> "Defer handling" is more to the point, be it by hardware or software.

Of course, "defer". The insertion has to be handled eventually. What
I'm wondering is if we can ignore it, and catch it on the resume.

>> Presumably we need to scan for hardware changes on resume.
>>

> Not on most busses I work with; the hardware issues notifications
> whenever the devices are removable.

There's no notification while we're suspended. Isn't it necessary to
scan all busses on resume, just to know what's on them?

  Last update: 2008-02-26 14:39    [W:0.168 / U:0.072 seconds]