SubjectRe: [RFC 02/11] introduce simple_fs_type
Date
On Saturday 23 February 2008, Al Viro wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 05:04:37AM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > The most interesting function here is the new "struct dentry *
> > simple_register_filesystem(struct simple_fs_type *type)", which
> > returns the root directory of a new file system that can then
> > be passed to simple_create_file() and similar functions as a
> > parent.
>
> Don't mix "split the file" with "add new stuff", please.

Ok, I'll introduce it in libfs.c first then.

> And frankly, I'm not convinced that embedding file_system_type
> into another struct is a good idea.

Right, that has been one of the areas I've been thinking about
myself without coming to a good solution. One alternative I
thought about is to have the news members as part of file_system_type
itself, but that would cost a bit of memory for every single
file system, and might lead to unintended misuse of these members
by non-simple file systems.

Do you think it would be better to dynamically allocate the
file_system_type and have a pointer in struct simple_fs_type to
it?

Arnd <><