    SubjectRe: [RFC 02/11] introduce simple_fs_type
    On Saturday 23 February 2008, Al Viro wrote:
    > On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 05:04:37AM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
    > > The most interesting function here is the new "struct dentry *
    > > simple_register_filesystem(struct simple_fs_type *type)", which
    > > returns the root directory of a new file system that can then
    > > be passed to simple_create_file() and similar functions as a
    > > parent.
    > Don't mix "split the file" with "add new stuff", please.

    Ok, I'll introduce it in libfs.c first then.

    > And frankly, I'm not convinced that embedding file_system_type
    > into another struct is a good idea.

    Right, that has been one of the areas I've been thinking about
    myself without coming to a good solution. One alternative I
    thought about is to have the news members as part of file_system_type
    itself, but that would cost a bit of memory for every single
    file system, and might lead to unintended misuse of these members
    by non-simple file systems.

    Do you think it would be better to dynamically allocate the
    file_system_type and have a pointer in struct simple_fs_type to

    Arnd <><

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-24 22:59    [W:0.027 / U:4.776 seconds]