    SubjectRe: bcm43xx regression in 2.6.24 (with patch)
    Date
    On Saturday 23 February 2008 12:07:51 Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > * Michael Buesch <mb@bu3sch.de> wrote:
    >
    > > > If this is not a repgession, than I don't know what is. And if it is
    > > > a regression, it should be fixed at least in the 2.6.24.y series, do
    > > > you agree?
    > >
    > > No. Playing with kconfig SELECT is really _nothing_ for a -stable
    > > series. I am _not_ going to be responsible for any breakages. [...]
    >
    > well, i've reviewed this thread and it's pretty apparent to any outside
    > observer that you as a maintainer are ignoring Alexey Zaytsev's pretty
    > reasonable request for a fix.
    >
    > Alexey had a problem, he analyzed it, he found a fix which he tested,
    > and he even has offered to test anything you send his way:
    >
    > || I have provided a patch that I believe is trivial, that I have tested
    > || with all possible config option combinations I thought were possible,
    > || and that fixes the regression. If you have a reason to believe it is
    > || wrong, please say it, I won't be offended. If there is a problem with
    > || the patch, I'll gladly fix and resend it.
    >
    > that's about the most friendly tester attitude that is imaginable.
    >
    > but what were you able to make out of that positive attitude? The only
    > things i've seen you send his way were insults and general handwaving
    > about how his patch breaks stuff (without providing a _shred_ of
    > evidence).

    blah:

    > I have to say, after having observed multiple incidents around b43 in
    > the past few months you are one of the worst driver maintainers i've
    > ever seen on lkml: you are ignoring regressions, you are frequently
    > insulting our testers and now you even have the gall to NAK a patch to
    > _your own buggy driver code_ without providing an alternative fix.
    > Kudos.

    So I am forced to sign-off random patches people send to me?
    I explained why I do not. If you do not like that, please do sign it off.
    If you do think the patch is correct, please _do_ sign it off Ingo.

    This problem will fix itself by switching to b43 and dropping bcm43xx.
    _That_ is my way to fix the bug.
    I don't understand all the SELECT implications, so I'm not going
    to introduce more of them. Because if the next regression appears from
    I SELECT that I signed off
    goto blah;

    --
    Greetings Michael.

      Last update: 2008-02-23 17:09    [W:0.024 / U:0.472 seconds]