Subjectarcmsr & areca-1660 - strange behaviour under heavy load
Hi,

I've found strange problem either in arcmsr driver, or maybe in
areca-1660 card...
When system on SAS discs RAID connected to areca-1660 card
gets under heavy I/O load, it gets unusable after some time. I can 100% reproduce
this, although it needs quite speciffic conditions:
It can be reproduced on 2x quad core machine, RAM has to be limited to
~192MB to cause heavy paging.
Only thing needed to cause the problem is to start loop doing kernel
compilation using make -j 8 - this loads the system heavily, because of
lack of memory. After few correct compile runs the system gets into
state when all programs including the basic ones (ls, cp, ..) start
crashing... dmesg (when it works) doesn't say anything strange...
After reboot, the system is OK again.
I have tested it on different motherboards, with different CPUs, RAMs(all
were properly tested with memtest), with two different areca cards and
different drives. I can't reproduce the problem on same hardware when
using different RAID card (ie adaptec). All testing systems were properly
cooled..
I have tried all available areca firmwares, two different distributions
(oracle linux, and centos), and kernels ranging from distribution ones, to last GIT snapshot.
Could somebody please give me some hints on how to hunt this problem?
Areca support doesn't seem to be very interested in the problem :-(
Thanks a lot in advance
BR
nik

-------------------------------------
Nikola CIPRICH
LinuxBox.cz, s.r.o.
28. rijna 168, 709 01 Ostrava

tel.: +420 596 603 142
fax: +420 596 621 273
mobil: +420 777 093 799

www.linuxbox.cz

mobil servis: +420 737 238 656
email servis: servis@linuxbox.cz

  Last update: 2008-02-23 12:33    [W:0.076 / U:0.200 seconds]