    SubjectRe: Question about your git habits
    Daniel Barkalow wrote:
    > I find that the sequence of changes I make is pretty much unrelated to the
    > sequence of changes that end up in the project's history, because my
    > changes as I make them involve writing a lot of stubs (so I can build) and
    > then filling them out. It's beneficial to have version control on this so
    > that, if I screw up filling out a stub, I can get back to where I was.
    > Having made a complete series, I then generate a new series of commits,
    > each of which does one thing, without any bugs that I've resolved, such
    > that the net result is the end of the messy history, except with any
    > debugging or useless stuff skipped. It's this series that gets merged into
    > the project history, and I discard the other history.
    > The real trick is that the early patches in a lot of series often refactor
    > existing code in ways that are generally good and necessary for your
    > eventual outcome, but which you'd never think of until you've written more
    > of the series.

    That summarizes well how I do original development, too. Whether its a
    branch of an existing repo, or a newly cloned repo, when working on new
    code I will do a first pass, committing as I go to provide useful

    Once I reach a satisfactory state, I'll refactor the patches so that
    they make sense for upstream submission.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-23 06:07    [W:0.019 / U:2.436 seconds]