SubjectRe: bcm43xx regression in 2.6.24 (with patch)
Michael Buesch wrote:
> On Friday 22 February 2008 12:17:15 Alexey Zaytsev wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> The bcm43xx driver won't work any more, if the b44 Ethernet
>> driver is enabled. This happens because the b44 driver
>> needlessly enables the b43_pci_bridge code, which claims
>> the same pci ids as the bcm43xx driver. The b43_pci_bridge
>> code is needed for the b43{legacy} drivers, but for the
>> b44, only the "ssb pci core" is needed.
>>
>> This patch separates the ssb b43 pci bridge and the ssb pci
>> core config options and enables only the needed ones.
>
> Nack. Switch to b43. bcm43xx is going to be removed anyway.

Since when this is a valid reason to NACK a patch which fixes
a regression in the 'stable' kernel ?

Probably you may want to ask first whatever 'b43' works for Alexey ?
and most probably the answer will be 'no' because that is the only reason
one would want to fix the *old* one when *both* drivers are enabled.

Really 'Switch to foo' and 'foo_old will be removed sometimes'
is not a 'valid' reason to NACK anything as long you 'have foo and foo_old'
*supported* in that kernel.

> I'm not going to play these kconfig SELECT tricks anymore.

Fix it different then.

> We had _lots_ of bugs there. People submitted patches that
> obviously looked OK and still they turned out to break
> some dependencies. KConfig SELECT is a feature from hell.

Yes it is but that is still not a valid reason to NACK that patch , I'm sorry.

Regards,

Gabriel

  Last update: 2008-02-22 18:55    [W:0.113 / U:0.108 seconds]