SubjectRe: Merging of completely unreviewed drivers
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:38:14 +0100
Krzysztof Halasa <> wrote:

> Linus Torvalds <> writes:
> > I'm personally of the opinion that a lot of checkpatch "fixes" are
> > anything but. That mainly concerns fixing overlong lines
> Perhaps we should increase line length limit, 132 should be fine.
> Especially useful with long printk() lines and long arithmetic
> expressions.

Agreed. The fact I'm having to fix bugs introduced by incorrect printk
wrapping confirms that for printk strings at least it is overzealous.

I'm all for it complaining about

printk(KERN_FOO "<90 chars>", foo, bar + 37);

type bits when the foo, bar should be underneath to be visible but for
straight quoted text too long it should not warn and try to get the text