    SubjectRe: Merging of completely unreviewed drivers

    On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > Is it really intended to merge drivers without _any_ kind of review?

    I'd really rather have the driver merged, and then *other* people can send
    patches!

    The thing is, that's what merging really means - people can work on it
    sanely together. Before it's merged, it's a lot harder for people to work
    on it unless they are really serious about that driver, so before
    merging, the janitorial kind of things seldom happen.

    So yes, I really do believe that we should merge drivers in particular a
    lot more aggressively. I'd like to see *testing* feedback, in order to not
    merge drivers that simply don't work well enough, but anything else? I
    suspect other feedback is as likely to cause problems as it is to fix
    things.

    > This driver even lacks a basic "please fix the > 250 checkpatch errors" [1]
    > and similar low hanging fruits that could easily be spotted and then
    > fixed by the submitter within a short amount of time.

    Quite frankly, I've several times been *this* close (holds up fingers so
    you can't even see between them) to just remove checkpatch entirely.

    I'm personally of the opinion that a lot of checkpatch "fixes" are
    anything but. That mainly concerns fixing overlong lines (where the
    "fixed" version is usually worse than the original), but it's been true
    for some other warnings too.

    Linus

      Last update: 2008-02-21 22:19    [W:0.022 / U:94.688 seconds]