    SubjectRe: [patch] my mmu notifiers
    On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 01:52:06AM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 12:04:27AM +0100, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > > OK (thanks to Robin as well). Now I understand why you are using it,
    > > but I don't understand why you don't defer new TLBs after the point
    > > where the linux pte changes. If you can do that, then you look and
    > > act much more like a TLB from the point of view of the Linux vm.
    > Christoph was forced to put the invalidate_range callback _after_
    > dropping the PT lock because xpmem has to wait I/O there. But
    > invalidate_range is called after freeing the VM reference on the pages
    > so then GRU needed a _range_begin too because GRU has to flush the tlb
    > before the VM reference on the page is released (xpmem and KVM pin the
    > pages mapped by the secondary mmu, GRU doesn't). So then
    > invalidate_range was renamed to invalidate_range_end.

    Currently, xpmem blocks faults for the range specified at the _begin
    callout, then shoots down remote TLBs and does the put_page for all the
    pages in the specified range. The _end callout merely removes the block.
    We do not do any wait for I/O. By the time we return from the _begin
    callout, all activity by the remotes is stopped, pages are dereferenced,
    and future faults are blocked until released by the _end callout.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-20 03:49    [W:0.021 / U:10.532 seconds]