    SubjectRe: 2.6.25-rc2: Reported regressions from 2.6.24
    Date
    On Monday, 18 of February 2008, Jiri Slaby wrote:
    > On 02/18/2008 10:49 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > > * Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Why on earth do we have CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED at all if the only
    > >> sane choice for someone who tests new kernels is to always turn it on?
    > >
    > > seconded ...
    > >
    > > it's insane how inconvenient certain storage systems are to use, and
    > > people get turned away with NOATBUG. ITISABUG every time user-space
    > > breaks or the user has to do _anything_ to get the box working as it
    > > should.
    >
    > No, user needn't to do anything. Just turn that default y option really to y
    > (yes, you are right, the help text of this option is misleading...). It's like
    > you turn off old acpi events option and scream that you acpi daemon doesn't work
    > for instance. There are many instances of this behaviour in the kernel. And yes,
    > many people don't need that option tuyrned on -- I think we need not-y testers
    > too, but it might be my personal feeling.

    Well, my definition of a regression from 2.6.24 is that it happens when someone
    takes a .config that worked with 2.6.24, configures the kernel with that,
    leaving the defaults for the options he is _asked_ _for_, and the resulting
    kernel doesn't work as expected.

    Thanks,
    Rafael

      Last update: 2008-02-18 12:39    [W:0.026 / U:30.180 seconds]