SubjectRe: Strange hang on ia64 with CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME=y
 > >  The strange thing is that Ingo's patch to make cpu_clock() a NOP until
> > after sched_init() didn't fix things for me...

> Very strange. I threw in an output line counter into the printk code() ... if I
> disable the timestamps for the first 30 lines, then everything is good (so the
> basic timestamping code does still work on ia64). But I would have thought
> that Ingo's delay until sched_init() ought to be long enough too. Clearly I
> need to figure out exactly what needs to be initialized to prevent the
> hang/crash.

I guess sched_init() is too early... it does seem really strange to
me, but I just double checked with Ingo's patch and it does indeed
hang. The slow way to make progress is just to go through
start_kernel() line-by-line and enable cpu_clock() at each stage, and
see where it stops hanging. I'll give that a shot as a background
process (my ia64 box takes quite a while to boot, so each test takes a
long time but requires very little of my attention).

  Last update: 2008-02-14 23:07    [W:0.250 / U:0.144 seconds]