    SubjectRe: [patch 3/4] mempolicy: add MPOL_F_STATIC_NODES flag
    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Paul Jackson wrote:

    > If we ever call mpol_rebind_policy() with an MPOL_PREFERRED|MPOL_F_STATIC_NODES
    > policy when the preferred_node doesn't happen to be in the current cpuset,
    > then would the following lines loose the preferred node setting, such that
    > it didn't get applied again correctly if that node came back into our allowed
    > cpuset ?
    >
    > case MPOL_PREFERRED:
    > if (!remap && !node_isset(pol->v.preferred_node, *newmask))
    > pol->v.preferred_node = -1;

    That's already been corrected as a result of a discussion between Lee and
    myself (please see the incremental patch that I sent you privately when I
    sent the patchset along).

    > Should the mpol_equal() algorithm change, in the case of either
    > MPOL_F_RELATIVE_NODES or MPOL_F_STATIC_NODES, to checking
    > user_nodemask equality, -instead- of the "switch(mode)"
    > mode specific tests?

    That's a good question.

    We'll need to decide whether mpol_equal() is determining the equality of
    the currently effected mempolicy (whereas policy->user_nodemask is
    irrelevant) or the whole intended mempolicy overall.

    I didn't originally modify mpol_equal() because I preferred the former.
    Is there a compelling case for the latter where mpol_equal() is used in
    the tree that would require this change?

    > Could we have mpol_to_str() mark policies which are
    > MPOL_F_RELATIVE_NODES or MPOL_F_STATIC_NODES? Perhaps
    > by adding a suffix of "|relative" or "|static" or some
    > such.

    I'd like to keep it in the same format as the tmpfs mount option which is
    '=relative' and '=static'.

    David

      Last update: 2008-02-14 20:43    [W:0.026 / U:30.344 seconds]