    SubjectRe: Is there a "blackhole" /dev/null directory?
    Jasper Bryant-Greene schrieb:
    > On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 10:30 +0100, rzryyvzy wrote:
    >> /dev/null is often very useful, specially if programs force to save data in some file. But some programs like to creates different temporary file names, so /dev/null could no more work.
    >> What is with a "/dev/null"-directory?
    >> I mean a "blackhole pseudo directory" which eats every write to null.
    >> Here is how it could work:
    >> mount -t nulldir nulldir /dev/nulldir
    >> Now if a program does a create(2),
    >> it creates in the memory the file with its fd.
    >> Then if a program does a write(2) to the fd, it eats the writes and give out fakely it has written the number of bytes.
    >> When the program calls does a close(2) of the fd, then the complete inode is deleted in the memory.
    >> The directory should be permanently empty except for the inodes with open file descriptors. So only inode information would be temporary saved in this "nulldir tmpfs" directory.
    >> Is there already existing a possibility to create a null directory?
    > This could be done fairly trivially with FUSE, and IMHO is a good use
    > for FUSE because since you're just throwing most data away, performance
    > is not a concern.
    Unfortunately performance is a concern because if not I would write on
    the hard disk the files, and then remove them with a cronjob.
    But from the point of view of the time of developpment, FUSE is a good
    idea, because its possible to write a filesystem quickly in Perl.

    Best regards,

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-14 13:19    [W:0.020 / U:176.012 seconds]