    SubjectRe: [BUGFIX 2/2] gdth: bugfix for the Timer at exit crash
    On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 19:18 +0200, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
    > On Wed, Feb 13 2008 at 19:03 +0200, James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com> wrote:
    > > It needs to register a reboot notifier, which gdth does.
    > >
    > > However, the notifier is only called on reboot, so it also needs to
    > > clean up correctly on module exit as well.
    > >
    > > The alternative for GDTH would be to process the SCSI SYNCHRONIZE CACHE
    >
    > Why would we think that the controller does not support this command
    > is it not in the mandatory section of the standard?

    Um, because the controller isn't a SCSI device. It's an emulated device
    which means the SCSI comands are processed in the driver. It does look
    like the driver<->HBA communication is some sort of translated dialect
    of SCSI.

    > > command. That's done by a shutdown notifier from sd, so the correct
    > > thing would always get done; however it does mean the driver has to be
    > > in a condition to process the last sync cache command.
    >
    > Why would it not be ready? what do other drivers do?
    > The drivers is ready until the very last module's .exit. Is that good
    > enough?

    shutdown is called as part of device removal and module unload ...
    usually from scsi_remove_host(). So you can't tear down command
    processing before that point.

    > > For the quick fix, just keep the current infrastructure and put back the
    > > gdth_flush() command where it can be effective.
    > >

    > Just did. But if needed I would prefer to emulate the SCSI SYNCHRONIZE CACHE
    > command and not that boot notifier thing. Please advise.

    I think such a change, though desirable, would be too large to count as
    a bug fix.

    James

      Last update: 2008-02-13 18:37    [W:0.025 / U:88.220 seconds]