SubjectRe: Regression in latest sched-git
On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 08:40:08PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> Yes, latency isolation is the one thing I had to sacrifice in order to
> get the normal latencies under control.

Hi Peter,
I don't have easy solution in mind either to meet both fairness
and latency goals in a acceptable way.

But I am puzzled at the max latency numbers you have provided below:

> The problem with the old code is that under light load: a kernel make
> -j2 as root, under an otherwise idle X session, generates latencies up
> to 120ms on my UP laptop. (uid grouping; two active users: peter, root).

If it was just two active users, then max latency should be:

latency to schedule user entity (~10ms?) +
latency to schedule task within that user

20-30 ms seems more reaonable max latency to expect in this scenario.
120ms seems abnormal, unless the user had large number of tasks.

On the same lines, I cant understand how we can be seeing 700ms latency
(below) unless we had: large number of active groups/users and large number of
tasks within each group/user.

> Others have reported latencies up to 300ms, and Ingo found a 700ms
> latency on his machine.
>
> The source for this problem is I think the vruntime driven wakeup
> preemption (but I'm not quite sure). The other things that rely on
> global vruntime are sleeper fairness and yield. Now while I can't
> possibly care less about yield, the loss of sleeper fairness is somewhat
> sad (NB. turning it off with the old group scheduling does improve life
> somewhat).
>
> So my first attempt at getting a global vruntime was flattening the
> whole RQ structure, you can see that patch in sched.git (I really ought
> to have posted that, will do so tomorrow).

We will do some exhaustive testing with this approach. My main concern
with this is that it may compromise the level of isolation between two
groups (imagine one group does a fork-bomb and how it would affect
fairness for other groups).

--
Regards,
vatsa

  Last update: 2008-02-13 06:07    [W:0.228 / U:0.100 seconds]