    SubjectRe: "ide=reverse" do we still need this?
    On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 04:15:07PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
    > I'm curious if we really still support the ide=reverse option? It's a
    > config option that I don't think the distros still enable (SuSE does
    > not). Is this still needed these days?
    My "server" has a consumer-grade desktop amd64 mobo, with all that
    implies about cheap hardware and strange/misleading bios options.
    It also has an add-in dual IDE card with the main data on raid1.
    It's set to ide=reverse, without that it doesn't boot (the add-ins
    are IDE, system drive is SATA, so I guess it probably tries to boot
    from the DVD - it's been a long time since it bit me and I don't
    remember the full details.

    That was how it was set for, and how it now boots from I think at one time the order of the interfaces might
    have been different. Certainly, I carry forward a fallback without
    ide=reverse in lilo.conf, just in case the disks move on my next
    kernel upgrade.

    What a distro selects should cover most of that distro's users, but
    that is not anywhere near providing 100% coverage for *all* the
    hardware out there. Also, you can force your users to e.g. mount by
    label. So far, that hasn't been forced on me, and I really hate
    having to reboot that box :)

      Last update: 2008-02-13 03:51    [W:0.054 / U:4.372 seconds]