SubjectRe: "ide=reverse" do we still need this?
On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 04:15:07PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

> I'm curious if we really still support the ide=reverse option? It's a
> config option that I don't think the distros still enable (SuSE does
> not). Is this still needed these days?

My "server" has a consumer-grade desktop amd64 mobo, with all that
implies about cheap hardware and strange/misleading bios options.
It also has an add-in dual IDE card with the main data on raid1.
It's set to ide=reverse, without that it doesn't boot (the add-ins
are IDE, system drive is SATA, so I guess it probably tries to boot
from the DVD - it's been a long time since it bit me and I don't
remember the full details.

That was how it was set for 2.6.18.6, and how it now boots from
2.6.22.18. I think at one time the order of the interfaces might
have been different. Certainly, I carry forward a fallback without
ide=reverse in lilo.conf, just in case the disks move on my next
kernel upgrade.

What a distro selects should cover most of that distro's users, but
that is not anywhere near providing 100% coverage for *all* the
hardware out there. Also, you can force your users to e.g. mount by
label. So far, that hasn't been forced on me, and I really hate
having to reboot that box :)

Ken