    SubjectRe: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))
    On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:06:17PM -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > There is maybe a middle ground in this -next idea; as very first
    > part of the series, the new api gets added, current users converted
    > and api marked __deprecated.
    > Then there's a second part to the patch, which is a separate tree,
    > which gets added at the very end, which removed the old api.
    > Both will go in at the same merge window, and the next-meister needs
    > to track that no new users show up... but the final tree allows this
    > to be done somewhat more gentle.
    > Doesn't work for API changes that just change the API rather than
    > extending it, and doesn't solve the dependency issues. So I still
    > think a cleansweep works best in general, but I suspect Andrew just
    > disagrees with that.

    Yes, that's exactly what I was suggesting. The __deprecate only lasts
    for the merge window, and we remove the old API at the end of the
    merge window. So it's only there for a very short time, and it's only
    there to make the cleen sweep a little less painful --- not one where
    "shit hangs around in the tree forever".

    - Ted

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-12 23:49    [W:0.049 / U:11.160 seconds]