SubjectRe: IO queueing and complete affinity w/ threads: Some results
Back on the 32-way, in this set of tests we're running 12 disks spread out through the 8 cells of the 32-way. Each disk will have an Ext2 FS placed on it, a clean Linux kernel source untar()ed onto it, then a full make (-j4) and then a make clean performed. The 12 series are done in parallel - so each disk will have:

mkfs
tar x
make
make clean

performed. This was performed ten times, and the overall averages are presented below - note this is Jens' original patch sequence NOT the kthread one (those results available tomorrow, hopefully).

mkfs Min Avg Max Std Dev
--------- ------- ------- ------- -------
q0.c0.rq0 17.814 30.322 33.263 4.551
q0.c0.rq1 17.540 30.058 32.885 4.321
q0.c1.rq0 17.770 31.328 32.958 3.121
q1.c0.rq0 17.907 31.032 32.767 3.515
q1.c1.rq0 16.891 30.319 33.097 4.624

untar Min Avg Max Std Dev
--------- ------- ------- ------- -------
q0.c0.rq0 19.747 21.971 26.292 1.215
q0.c0.rq1 19.680 22.365 36.395 2.010
q0.c1.rq0 18.823 21.390 24.455 0.976
q1.c0.rq0 18.433 21.500 23.371 1.009
q1.c1.rq0 19.414 21.761 34.115 1.378

make Min Avg Max Std Dev
--------- ------- ------- ------- -------
q0.c0.rq0 527.418 543.296 552.030 5.384
q0.c0.rq1 526.265 542.312 549.477 5.467
q0.c1.rq0 528.935 544.940 553.823 4.746
q1.c0.rq0 529.432 544.399 553.212 5.166
q1.c1.rq0 527.638 543.577 551.323 5.478

clean Min Avg Max Std Dev
q0.c0.rq0 16.962 20.308 33.775 3.179
q0.c0.rq1 17.436 20.156 29.370 3.097
q0.c1.rq0 17.061 20.111 31.504 2.791
q1.c0.rq0 16.745 20.247 29.327 2.953
q1.c1.rq0 17.346 20.316 31.178 3.283

Hopefully, the first column is self-explanatory - these are the settings applied to the queue_affinity, completion_affinity and rq_affinity tunables. Due to the fact that the standard deviations are so large coupled with the very close average results, I'm not seeing anything in this set of tests to favor any of the combinations...

As noted, I will be having the machine run the kthreads-variant of the patch stream tonight, and then I have to go back and run a non-patched kernel to see if there are any /regressions/.

Alan

  Last update: 2008-02-12 23:11    [W:1.732 / U:0.012 seconds]