[lkml]   [2008]   [Feb]   [12]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
Messages in this thread
    SubjectRe: [PATCH] enclosure: add support for enclosure services
    On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 11:07 -0800, Kristen Carlson Accardi wrote:
    > I understand what you are trying to do - I guess I just doubt the value
    > you've added by doing this. I think that there's going to be so much
    > customization that system vendors will want to add, that they are going
    > to wind up adding a custom library regardless, so standardising those
    > few things won't buy us anything.

    It depends ... if you actually have a use for the customisations, yes.
    If you just want the basics of who (what's in the enclousure), what
    (activity) and where (locate) then I think it solves your problem almost

    So, entirely as a straw horse, tell me what else your enclosures provide
    that I haven't listed in the four points. The SES standards too provide
    a huge range of things that no-one ever seems to implement (temperature,
    power, fan speeds etc).

    I think the users of enclosures fall int these categories

    85% just want to know where their device actually is (i.e. that sdc is
    in enclosure slot 5)
    50% like watching the activity lights
    30% want to be able to have a visual locate function
    20% want a visual failure indication (the other 80% rely on some OS
    notification instead)

    When you add up the overlapping needs, you get about 90% of people happy
    with the basics that the enclosure services provide. Could there be
    more ... sure; should there be more ... I don't think so ... that's what
    value add the user libraries can provide.


     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-12 20:31    [W:0.030 / U:135.252 seconds]
    ©2003-2017 Jasper Spaans. hosted at Digital OceanAdvertise on this site