    SubjectRe: [git pull] kgdb-light -v10
    On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 10:11:13AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > >
    > > > - the kgdb commands should always act on the *current* CPU only
    > > > - add one command that says "switch over to CPU #n" which just releases
    > > > the current CPU and sends an IPI to that CPU #n (no timeouts, no
    > > > synchronous waiting, no nothing - it's like a "continue", but with a
    > > > "try to get the other CPU to stop"
    > >
    > > The problem I see here is that the kernel tends to get badly confused
    > > if one CPU just stops responding. At some point someone does an global
    > > IPI and that then hangs. You would need to hotunplug the CPU which
    > > is theoretically possible, but quite intrusive.
    > You're thinking about this totally *wrong*.
    > You definitely do not want to hot-unplug or isolate anything at all.

    I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea -- i was just pointing out
    consequences of your proposal.

    > Just let the other CPU's hang naturally if they need to wait for IPI's
    > etc. What's the downside?

    There tend to be timeouts (e.g. softlock/nmi watchdog at least). I think
    some of the IPIs eventually time out too. In general losing a lot
    of time can lead to weird side effects.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-12 19:49    [W:0.039 / U:32.172 seconds]