    SubjectRe: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))
    From
    From: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
    Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:53:12 -0800

    > Where do you "fix this up" at? I can send a patch for the IB tree, but
    > Roland can't put it in his tree, and I can't put it in my tree, it needs
    > to go _after_ both of our trees.

    Totally agreed.

    The fact is there are interdependencies, especially in driver
    land and you have to either:

    1) Make the driver folks work on top of Greg's tree.

    2) Constantly rebase the -next tree to deal with the
    conflicts.

    There are some other issues related to this which haven't
    be touched upon greatly yet.

    I rebase my tree all the time, at least once or twice per
    week. Why?

    Firstly, to remove crap. When you have "great idea A" then "oh shit A
    won't work, revert that" there is zero sense in keeping both
    changesets around.

    Secondly, I want to fix up the rejects caused by conflicts with
    upstream bug fixes and the like (and there are tons when the tree gets
    to 1500 or so patches like the networking did). I don't want git to
    merge the thing by hand, I want to see what the conflict is and make
    sure the "obvious" resolution is OK and the most efficient way I know
    how to do that is to suck my tree apart as patches, then suck them
    back into a fresh tree.

    It therefore might make sense to the linux-next tree to do something
    similar, constantly rebasing so that all the conflicts and reverted
    shit changes can be sorted out without having an incredibly ugly
    GIT history.

      Last update: 2008-02-12 07:09    [W:0.022 / U:4.268 seconds]