SubjectRe: [git pull] kgdb-light -v9
Date
> You silently overwrite any user ptrace hw breakpoints right? To do it cleanly
> would still require a reservation frame work.

There was work underway on that before (hw_breakpoint). I'm not entirely
sure you want to use fancy stuff like that in kgdb. It's nice for kgdb to
be as self-contained as possible, so you can debug everything else with it.
If you're going to rely on lots of higher-level infrastructure, it could be
using kprobes for its software breakpoint handling, too.

At any rate, I think it would be good if the hw breakpoint support in kgdb
were chopped out into a separate patch. First make kgdb work with no code
touching debug registers at all. Then a second patch can add the hw
breakpoint support. The latter one can be mulled over or replaced with a
hw_breakpoint merge or just put off for a while because it's a big can of
worms to multiplex the use of the debug registers.

Thanks,
Roland

  Last update: 2008-02-12 11:33    [W:0.145 / U:0.036 seconds]