    SubjectRe: [patch 2/4] mempolicy: support optional mode flags
    Lee wrote:
    > We need to sort out with Andrew, Mel, Paul, ... the order in which these
    > interdependent changes go in. Given such an order, I'm willing to merge
    > them all up, test them, and post them [after running checkpatch, of
    > course].

    These patches look like good stuff at first glance. Thanks, David.

    If things go as I hope, I expect to spend a couple of days this week
    reviving my earlier patch RFC that a couple of you on this cc list saw,
    concerning how nodes are numbered in mempolicy nodemasks. Certainly
    the work being done in these various recent patches will affect my
    patch ... it's in the same code.

    David or Lee -- could you recommend to me which of these various patches
    of late I should apply first in my workarea, in what order, before I
    add my patch? After fixing up conflicts between my earlier patch and
    these good patches of yours, I'll try to do some testing of the code
    paths that my patch most likely affected, to ensure that I don't break
    any existing code. I'll also probably have some more detailed review
    comments on these patches, as I work through them and resolve conflicts
    between them and my patch.

    For lurkers who are wondering just what my earlier RFC patch will did,
    I'm avoiding explaining that here. It will take a bit of careful
    explanation, or else things get rather confused. My goal is to propose
    my nodemask numbering patch by the end of this week, as an RFC,
    publicly and clearly presented, and built and tested (somewhat) on top
    of these other patches. My nodemask numbering patch is more of a new
    feature than a code cleanup, so probably should end up going in after
    these other patches.

    Then if Lee can add his testing, and after Lee and/or David post
    these patches, they can either push mine too, or I can follow up with
    a final PATCH that I recommend for *-mm, based on feedback from my
    RFC of this week, that applies on top of this good work.

    --
    I won't rest till it's the best ...
    Programmer, Linux Scalability

      Last update: 2008-02-11 21:59    [W:2.811 / U:0.020 seconds]