Subject[0/6] kgdb light

this is the "kgdb light" tree that has been also posted at:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/9/236

it is available at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mingo/linux-2.6-kgdb.git

See the shortlog below.

various iterations of this have also been included in x86.git for the
past 3 months.

This is a slimmed-down and cleaned up version of KGDB that i've created
out of the original patches that we submitted two weeks ago. I went over
the kgdb patches with Thomas and we cut out everything that we did not
like, and cleaned up the result.

KGDB is still just as functional as it was before (i tested it on 32-bit
and 64-bit x86) - and any desired extra capability or complexity should
be added as a delta improvement, not in this initial merge.

The difference between the original kgdb submission and this submission
is best visible in the diffstat:

before: 41 files changed, 4007 insertions(+), 33 deletions(-)
after: 22 files changed, 3448 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

what got removed:

- removed _all_ critical path impact, even if KGDB is enabled and
active. The only notifier list it is registered in is the die
notifiers, but even there it has the minimum priority of -INT_MAX, to
be called as the last one of the die notifiers. I removed the 'early
trap hook', the trap handler tweaks, everything. KGDB's only impact
now are the arch details it implements in arch/x86/kernel/kgdb.c,
nothing else.

- removed all the lowlevel serial drivers. KGDB should not be in the
business of writing special-purpose Linux drivers. In fact i found a
testsystem where the KGDB 8250 driver would not work - it's simply
reimplementing the wheel that drivers/serial already implements, and
poorly so. Any "early debugging" functionality should be done via
extending the early-console concept, not via special-purpose KGDB
drivers.

- I have added a redesigned and cleaned up version of the "KGDB over
polled consoles" approach (KGDBOC) - i believe this should be the
only IO transport for KGDB: it is an extension of the "console"
concept - nothing more, nothing less. Netconsole fits this concept
quite nicely as well. The moment a console driver is extended with
polling functionality, KGDB will be usable through that IO transport,
without having to know about hardware details.

- I have removed the longjump code. That code was ugly beyond belief,
it tried to fix up KGDB's own faults and needed to hook into all the
fault handlers. It is totally, utterly wrong to do it like that. The
code now uses pure probe_kernel_address() accesses.

- removed the module symbol hacks - those need a clean solution.

- removed the GTOD/clocksource hacks. If a user uses kdgb for extended
periods of time then GTOD clocksources can get out of sync and we
might fall back to other clocksources. That is the _right_ thing to
do for the kernel, hacking it around to avoid kernel messages was
wrong.

- i have removed the softlockup hacks as well.

- removed the toplevel Makefile changes - if any change is needed in
that area (i'm not convinced thre is), then those changes need to go
through Sam & the kbuild folks.

- removed the might_sleep scheduler hack as well, and the thread_return
hack.

- [ and did lots of other cleanups and rewrites as well. ]

as a result, this kgdb series has _obviously_ zero impact on the kernel,
because it just does not touch any dangerous codepath. From this point
on KGDB can evolve in small, well-controlled baby steps, as all other
kernel code as well.

and the resulting kgdb is still very functional: it can still break into
a kernel (via SysRq-G), can catch crashes, can single-step, etc. It's
already a quite usable first step.

I have tested this tree on x86 32-bit and 64-bit. Other architectures
are not expected to be impacted.

Ingo

------------------>
Ingo Molnar (3):
pids: add pid_max prototype
uaccess: add probe_kernel_write()
x86: kgdb support

Jan Kiszka (1):
consoles: polling support, kgdboc

Jason Wessel (2):
kgdb: core
kgdb: document parameters

Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt | 5 +
arch/x86/Kconfig | 4 +
arch/x86/kernel/Makefile | 1 +
arch/x86/kernel/kgdb.c | 550 ++++++++++
drivers/char/tty_io.c | 47 +
drivers/serial/8250.c | 62 ++
drivers/serial/Kconfig | 3 +
drivers/serial/Makefile | 1 +
drivers/serial/kgdboc.c | 164 +++
drivers/serial/serial_core.c | 67 ++-
include/asm-generic/kgdb.h | 93 ++
include/asm-x86/kgdb.h | 87 ++
include/linux/kgdb.h | 264 +++++
include/linux/pid.h | 2 +
include/linux/serial_core.h | 4 +
include/linux/tty_driver.h | 12 +
include/linux/uaccess.h | 22 +
kernel/Makefile | 1 +
kernel/kgdb.c | 2020 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
kernel/sysctl.c | 2 +-
lib/Kconfig.debug | 2 +
lib/Kconfig.kgdb | 37 +
create mode 100644 arch/x86/kernel/kgdb.c
create mode 100644 drivers/serial/kgdboc.c
create mode 100644 include/asm-generic/kgdb.h
create mode 100644 include/asm-x86/kgdb.h
create mode 100644 include/linux/kgdb.h
create mode 100644 kernel/kgdb.c
create mode 100644 lib/Kconfig.kgdb

  Last update: 2008-02-10 08:17    [W:0.083 / U:0.196 seconds]