    SubjectRe: Question about several drivers for one physical device
    On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Per Andreas Gulbrandsen wrote:
    > I have two drivers that both use the same device, an FPGA connected
    > via pci. These two pci drivers represent different functionality in
    > the FPGA, and they each have it's own BAR. My problem is that I can't
    > get these two drivers to correctly initialize. Only the first one
    > loaded actually finds the device (which one of the two doesn't
    > matter). The second driver I load never has it's probe method run, and
    > so it doesn't initialize correctly. I am aware that integrating these
    > two drivers in one module is a possiblity, but since these two drivers
    > aren't really related (except that they both drive an FPGA) I would
    > like to keep them as two separate modules. My question is really: Is
    > there another way to do this, or will I have to integrate the two so
    > they share init/exit/probe methods?

    You can create a third driver that binds to the PCI device and creates a new
    bus type with two devices. Then the two other drivers can bind to the latter
    two devices.

    Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

    Geert

    -- Linus Torvalds

      Last update: 2008-12-30 16:07    [W:0.031 / U:1.680 seconds]