SubjectRe: writing file to disk: not as easy as it looks
> > CRC errors, lost IRQs and the like are retried by the midlayer and
> > drivers and the error handling strategies will also try things like
> > reducing link speeds on repeated CRC errors.
>
> I meant for example loose cable or so --- does it make sense to retry
> indefinitely (until the admin plugs the cable or unmounts the filesystem)
> or return error to the filesystem after few retries?

It is quite non-trivial to detect if it is "disk plugged back in"
vs. "faulty disk unplugged, new one plugged in"... so I suppose
automatic retry after failure of connection to disk is quite hard to
get right.

  Last update: 2008-12-03 19:17    [W:0.058 / U:0.100 seconds]