    SubjectRe: Regression from 2.6.26: Hibernation (possibly suspend) broken on Toshiba R500 (bisected)
    On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > So, it looks like you have MSI enabled in -rc6, and not in -rc3. And
    > yes, for some reason -rc3 will create the prefetchable memory range
    > windows, but -rc6 won't.

    I have no changes in my config that would explain that (checked the diff).
    The only changes are simple 'make oldconfig' updates.

    > I have to admit that I'm not seeing _why_ to that latter one. I don't
    > think we've done any resource allocation changes since -rc3 (the "clean
    > up late e820 resource allocation" thing happened just _before_ -rc3),
    > so I'm really not seeing why -rc3 would act differently from -rc6..

    I could reinstall some intermediate versions and check when that change
    got introduced if that would help, or revert to the kernel I was using
    before I did the pull today and applied the debug patch (which was plain
    rc6 + a few selected bug fix patches that had not yet been merged).

    > > At the bottom there's a fairly long addition from the few
    > > suspend/resume cycles I did (again, running with the debug patch).
    > Sure. Quite frankly, from these messages, I'm not seeing anything
    > really even remotely wrong. And apparently it does actually work for
    > you.

    Right. All these resumes were perfect.

    > It would perhaps be more interesting to see if there is some dmesg
    > difference in a boot that then ends up _not_ able to resume from
    > hibernation? But apparently that hasn't happened to you lately?

    It did happen once a few days ago, but with the workarounds I had resume
    failures were extremely rare. I'll see if I can work out which boot it
    was, but that could well be very tricky as a failed resume leaves no

    The way I "see" the failure is that the wireless led does not come on

    > I don't like not knowing why you have prefetchable windows in one, and
    > not in the other, but it is indeed a transparent bridge and so that
    > difference really shouldn't even matter.

    /me always likes the use of "should" in such situations ;-)

    > Do you perhaps dual-boot that laptop? What can sometimes happen is that
    > PCI resources do not get totally reset over a warm-boot.

    No. I only run Debian testing on that machine. As Debian Lenny is getting
    close to release there are very few changes in userland ATM. For kernels
    I essentially follow git starting with -rc2/3 or so of each new minor.

    > We've (very occasionally) had situations where PCI resource bugs only
    > happen when you warm-boot from another OS (generally Windows), or when
    > you warm-boot from an earlier version of Linux. Exactly because some
    > firmware didn't fully re-initialize the state of the PCI bus, and
    > because Linux will try to honor everything that the firmware set up..

    Given the above that does not seem relevant.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-12-02 18:49    [W:0.023 / U:11.832 seconds]