    SubjectRe: In-kernel IR remote control support
    Hi!

    > Who is telling you that LIRC cannot work like simply plugging in the
    > receiver and start using the remote?

    Well, I don't have to install special userland to make USB keyboard to
    work, and I don't see why remote controls should be different.

    > You can have LIRC setup to decode all common remote control protocols.
    > It's just a matter of proper packaging and pre-configuration.

    ...which distributions don't generally do because they avoid
    out-of-tree patches...?

    > > Can we merge the common ones into the kernel, while still keeping the
    > > obscure ones in userspace using uinput or something?
    >
    > Why do you want to complicate things even more. When you have an obscure
    > protocol, you have to use LIRC style kernel drivers anyway. Why not use
    > them for all protocols if you need them anyway?

    It is more complex in the obscure case, agreed; but the common case
    gets simpler and I believe tradeoff is worth it.

    > Everyone seems to be so focussed on the input layer, that he does not even
    > consider that it might not be the right approach for all cases.

    Remote controls do look like keyboards; that's why people want to use
    input layer.

    Unlike normal keyboards, 'tcpdump' or 'irdump' makes a lot of sense
    for remote controls, but so what?

    > > support for the common remotes. That seems like a net plus to me, and
    > > you can still keep the obscure ones in userland.
    >
    > Jon's code and the LIRC approach exclude each other. It does not make
    > sense to have both in the kernel. There have been attempts to clean up
    > LIRC code to be included in the kernel. The current discussion lessens my
    > hope that this will happen anytime soon.

    I don't see why we could not use Jon's code for common remotes decoded
    mostly by hw, and your code for the obscure cases.
    Pavel

      Last update: 2008-12-02 15:43    [W:0.021 / U:118.556 seconds]