SubjectRe: Notes on support for multiple devices for a single filesystem
"Brad Voth" <brad@voth.name> wrote on 12/18/2008 01:36:12 PM:

> I can see the desire to have the snapshot at the filesystem level to
> ensure that the filesystem knows it is consistent. However, this
> can be a duplication of effort because of the need to have snapshots
> at the block device level for non-fs devices. Such as raw logical
> devices for say a database. I would think that a viable consistent
> solution would be to have the block device snapshot mechanism have a
> hook into the filesystem api to say, "I'm preparing to take a
> snapshot, please quiesce and return" <take block snapshot> "You may
> now resume, Mr. Filesystem"

But that's a layering violation. First of all, a block device doesn't
know what a filesystem is, so you'd have to generalize it to making these
requests to whatever has the block device in some sense open. I don't see
that this sequence gains you anything over the sequence I described where
the user makes the request of the filesystem driver and the filesystem
driver, while it has the filesystem quiesced, issues an order to the block
device to make a snapshot.

>In this way there is a single interface for users to take snapshots
>of the block device level whether it is a raw logical volume, or a
>filesystem sitting on a logical volume.

I don't think it makes sense to have a common means of snapshotting any of
the various things that might reside on a block device; for some, I can't
even think of a meaningful concept of snapshotting the information on that
device. E.g. where it's one of 4 disks on which some filesystem resides.

--
Bryan Henderson IBM Almaden Research Center
San Jose CA Storage Systems

  Last update: 2008-12-19 20:07    [W:0.035 / U:0.052 seconds]