    SubjectRe: [Perfctr-devel] [patch] Performance Counters for Linux, v4
    William Cohen wrote:
    > Ingo Molnar wrote:
    >> We are pleased to announce the v4 release of our performance counters
    >> subsystem implementation. The kernel changes can be picked up from:
    >> git://
    >> perfcounters/core
    >> (also in the master branch. There's also a kernel patch attached
    >> below.)
    > Machines that support virtualization are becoming very common. How is
    > this performance monitoring support going to work with virtualization
    > (e.g. KVM)? Having the performance counters only work on physical
    > machines would be pretty limiting.

    On Power machines, the PMU counter registers are virtualized by the
    hypervisor, at the request of the OS, on a per-cpu/per-partition basis.
    So this issue is handled transparently on Power anyway.

    - Corey

    Corey Ashford
    Software Engineer
    IBM Linux Technology Center, Linux Toolchain
    Beaverton, OR

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-12-17 21:57    [W:0.021 / U:0.796 seconds]