SubjectRe: [Perfctr-devel] [patch] Performance Counters for Linux, v4
William Cohen wrote:
> Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> We are pleased to announce the v4 release of our performance counters
>> subsystem implementation. The kernel changes can be picked up from:
>> git://
>> perfcounters/core
>> (also in the master branch. There's also a kernel patch attached
>> below.)
> Machines that support virtualization are becoming very common. How is
> this performance monitoring support going to work with virtualization
> (e.g. KVM)? Having the performance counters only work on physical
> machines would be pretty limiting.

On Power machines, the PMU counter registers are virtualized by the
hypervisor, at the request of the OS, on a per-cpu/per-partition basis.
So this issue is handled transparently on Power anyway.

- Corey

Corey Ashford
Software Engineer
IBM Linux Technology Center, Linux Toolchain
Beaverton, OR