SubjectRe: Dracut -- Cross distribution initramfs infrastructure
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 01:54:54PM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> As davej started talking about a few months ago at Kernel Summit and
> LPC, there's a lot of duplication between distros on the tools used to
> generate the initramfs as well as the contents and how the initramfs
> works. Ultimately, there's little reason for this not to be something
> that is shared and worked on by everyone. Added to this is the fact
> that everyone's infrastructures for this have grown up over a long-ish
> period of time without significant amounts of reworking for the way that
> the kernel and early boot works these days.
>
> Therefore I've started on a new project, dracut, to try to be a new
> initramfs tool that can be used across various distributions. From the
> README...

It looks like Hannes has also been working on a new, modular initramfs
for a while:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/hare/mkinitrd.git;a=summary

I hope you guys can get together and agree on one implementation..

  Last update: 2008-12-17 20:09    [W:0.078 / U:0.376 seconds]