    SubjectRe: Have the velociraptors in a test system now, checkout the errors.
    Justin Piszcz wrote:
    > Point of thread: Two problems, mentioned in detail below, NCQ in Linux
    > when used in a RAID configuration and two, something with how Linux
    > interacts with the drives causes lots of problems as when I run the WD
    > tools on the disks, they do not show any errors.
    >
    > If anyone has/would like me to run any debugging/patches/etc on this
    > system feel free to suggest/send me things to try out. After I put
    > the VR's in a test system, I left NCQ enabled and I made a 10 disk
    > raid5 to see how fast I could get it to fail, I ran bonnie++ shown
    > below as a disk benchmark/stress test:
    >
    > For the next test I will repeat this one but with NCQ disabled, having
    > NCQ enabled makes it fail very easily. Then I want to re-run the test
    > with RAID6.
    >
    > bonnie++ -d /r1/test -s 1000G -m p63 -n 16:100000:16:64
    >
    > $ df -h
    > /dev/md3 2.5T 5.5M 2.5T 1% /r1
    >
    > And the results? Two disk "failures" according to md/Linux within a
    > few hours as shown below:
    >
    > Note, the NCQ-related errors are what I talk about all of the time, if
    > you use
    > NCQ and Linux in a RAID environment with WD drives, well-- good luck.
    >
    > Two-disks failed out of the RAID5 and I currentlty cannot even 'see'
    > one of the drives with smartctl, will reboot the host and check sde
    > again.
    >
    > After a reboot, it comes up and has no errors, really makes one wonder
    > where/what the bugs is/are, there are two I can see:
    > 1. NCQ issue on at least WD drives in Linux in SW md/RAID
    > 2. Velociraptor/other disks reporting all kinds of sector errors etc,
    > but when you use the WD 11.x disk tools program and run all of their
    > tests it says the disks have no problems whatsoever! The smart
    > statistics do confirm this. Currently, TLER is on for all disks, for
    > the duration of these tests.

    Just a few comments on this, I have several RAID arrays built on Seagate
    using NCQ, and yet to have a problem. I have NCQ on with my WD drives,
    non-RAID, and haven't had an issue with them either. The WDs run a lot
    cooler than the SG, but they are probably getting less use, as well. If
    the WD are still on sale after the holiday I may grab a few more and run
    RAID, by then I will have some small sense of trusting them.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still

      Last update: 2008-12-11 01:15    [W:0.030 / U:4.844 seconds]