    SubjectRe: [ibm-acpi-devel] Fan level 7 after resume wit 2.6.28-rc3
    Date
    On Thursday, 6 of November 2008, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Nov 2008, Tino Keitel wrote:
    > > The whole fan level stuff looks a bit complicated to me. Especially the
    >
    > It is. The sysfs hwmon interface does not map 1:1 with the three possible
    > thinkpad fan control interfaces. fan_control_desired_level is used for that
    > interface mainly, since I have to remember the last state used that was in
    > the set of 0-7, ignoring AUTO (which is a separate pwm control mode for
    > hwmon) and full-speed (which is a separate pwm control mode for hwmon).
    >
    > It is hijacked by fan_suspend/fan_resume to store state between
    > sleep/resume, because that was convenient. Too bad I failed to notice it
    > would not work properly for that.
    >
    > > The attached patch tries to simplify this a bit. It sets
    >
    > NAK, it would break a lot of stuff. See my previous reply on this thread
    > for *some* of the stuff it would break.
    >
    > I will have a proper patch out probably within 24h but most certainly before
    > next Monday.
    >
    > Meanwhile, I suggest you just remove the calls to fan_suspend and fan_resume
    > as a workaround.

    Speaking of which, last time I looked at fan_suspend and fan_resume, they
    were hopelessly broken (I admit that was quite some time ago, though).

    IMO, fan_suspend() is not necessary at all and the only thing fan_resume()
    could do is to make the kernel's data structures reflect the actual state of
    the fan.

    Thanks,
    Rafael

      Last update: 2008-11-08 23:43    [W:0.024 / U:1.268 seconds]