    SubjectRe: [git pull] scheduler updates

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > So that's why my change moves it from the __native_read_tsc() over to
    > _only_ the vget_cycles().

    Ahh. I was looking at native_read_tscp(). Which has no barriers. But then
    we don't actually save the actual TSC, we only end up using the "p" part,
    so we don't care..

    Anyway, even for the vget_cycles(), is there really any reason to have
    _two_ barriers? Also, I still think it would be a hell of a lot more
    readable and logical to put the barriers in the _caller_, so that people
    actually see what the barriers are there for.

    When they are hidden, they make no sense. The helper function just has two
    insane barriers without explanation, and the caller doesn't know that the
    code is serialized wrt something random.

    Linus

      Last update: 2008-11-08 20:25    [W:0.018 / U:0.556 seconds]