SubjectRe: [RFC patch 08/18] cnt32_to_63 should use smp_rmb()
On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 16:21:55 +0000 David Howells <dhowells@redhat.com> wrote:

> Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> > If gcc did that then it would need to generate static instances of
> > inlined functions within individual compilation units. It would be a
> > disaster for the kernel. For a start, functions which are "inlined" in kernel
> > modules wouldn't be able to access their static storage and modprobing
> > them would fail.
>
> Do you expect a static inline function that lives in a header file and that
> has a static variable in it to share that static variable over all instances
> of that function in a program? Or do you expect the static variable to be
> limited at the file level? Or just at the invocation level?

I'd expect it to behave in the same way as it would if the function was
implemented out-of-line.

But it occurs to me that the modrobe-doesnt-work thing would happen if
the function _is_ inlined anyway, so we won't be doing that.

Whatever. Killing this many puppies because gcc may do something so
bizarrely wrong isn't justifiable.

  Last update: 2008-11-07 17:33    [W:0.111 / U:1.864 seconds]