SubjectRe: [RFC patch 08/18] cnt32_to_63 should use smp_rmb()
Date
Nicolas Pitre <nico@cam.org> wrote:

> > I mean, the darned thing is called from sched_clock(), which can be
> > concurrently called on separate CPUs and which can be called from
> > interrupt context (with an arbitrary nesting level!) while it was running
> > in process context.
>
> Yes! And this is so on *purpose*. Please take some time to read the
> comment that goes along with it, and if you're still not convinced then
> look for those explanation emails I've already posted.

I agree with Nicolas on this. It's abominably clever, but I think he's right.

The one place I remain unconvinced is over the issue of preemption of a process
that is in the middle of cnt32_to_63(), where if the preempted process is
asleep for long enough, I think it can wind time backwards when it resumes, but
that's not a problem for the one place I want to use it (sched_clock()) because
that is (almost) always called with preemption disabled in one way or another.

The one place it isn't is a debugging case that I'm not too worried about.

> > /*
> > * Caller must provide locking to protect *caller_state
> > */
>
> NO! This is meant to be LOCK FREE!

Absolutely.

David

  Last update: 2008-11-07 12:07    [W:1.238 / U:0.048 seconds]