    SubjectRe: [patch 6/7] SDHCI: Check DMA for overruns at end of transfer
    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008, Ben Dooks wrote:
    > On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 07:12:00PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
    > > Maybe I didn't understand it right, but if the DMA controller could overrun
    > > a buffer, don't you ALSO need to add defensive padding (i.e. increase the
    > > buffer) to make sure nothing important gets overrun?
    >
    > This is only generated by problems elsewhere in the driver, such as
    > getting the timeout clock wrong. It is here just as a precaution and
    > as an aide to debugging, it should not trigger in normal circumstances.

    Then why is it just a WARN_ON, since you had a rogue DMA operation
    overwriting unknown kernel memory? Seems like an outright BUG_ON to me.

    > There is a seperate problem where the DMA buffer is passed from the stack
    > which is, IIRC, a complete no-no under Linux.

    Can't say much on that. I just found it strange that something as damaging
    as an overrun was only getting a WARN_ON and no defensive measure. If it is
    not going to happen normally, it might not require a defensive buffer, but
    once it happens, it looks like one must reboot ASAP from what you said...

    Henrique Holschuh

      Last update: 2008-11-04 02:31    [W:0.024 / U:0.168 seconds]