SubjectRe: [PATH -mm -v2] Fix a race condtion of oops_in_progress
Huang Ying wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 00:42 +0800, Chris Snook wrote:
>> Huang Ying wrote:
>>> Hi, Chris,

>>> I don't think that is necessary. I haven't found there is particular
>>> consistent requirement about oops_in_progress.
>> atomic_read() and atomic_set() don't inherently cause changes to be visible on
>> other CPUs any faster than ++ and -- operators. Sometimes it happens to work
>> out that way as a result of how the compiler and the CPU order operations, but
>> there's no semantic guarantee, and it could even take arbitrarily long under
>> some circumstances. If you want to use atomic ops to close the race, you need
>> to use barriers.
>
> As far as I know, barriers don't cause changes to be visible on other
> CPUs faster too. It just guarantees corresponding operations after will
> not get executed until that before have finished. And, I don't think we
> need make changes to be visible on other CPUs faster.

You're correct that barrier() has no impact on other CPUs. wmb() and rmb() do.
If we don't need to make changes visible any faster, what's the point in using
atomic_set()? It's not any less racy. atomic_inc() and atomic_dec() would be
less racy, but you're not using those.

-- Chris

  Last update: 2008-11-03 19:47    [W:0.499 / U:0.460 seconds]