SubjectRe: [Linux-fbdev-devel] radeonfb lockup in .28-rc (bisected)
Date

>> is in play. It is probably spinning through all of the 2000000 possible
>> udelay(10) calls. I don't think I ever gave it twenty seconds before
>> giving up. And certainly not forty seconds, if the freeze happens after
>> setting the DST_Y_X register.

Benjamin> Well, setting DST_Y_X is what triggers the transfer. The above
Benjamin> means that the FIFO isn't emptying (ie, the engine is locked up).

I gave it another try over the weekend and let it sit for five minutes.
The reset message never appeared.

Benjamin> - We can blacklist that chip for imageblit (it's not a huge
Benjamin> improvement on x86 anyway).

No objections here.

Benjamin> - We can be smart, reduce the timeout above, and "detect" the
Benjamin> lockup, when it happens, reset the engine and disable the
Benjamin> acceleration that locked up.

Given Paul's report, that seems like the long term solution.

Benjamin> Now, the problem is ... My second son was just born last
Benjamin> wed. so I'm pretty unavailable right now.

Congrats!

Benjamin> Thus, for .29, I'm tempted to go for the simpler approach
Benjamin> which is to blacklist M7's from imageblit acceleration.

Again, that is fine by me. Otherwise I'll just leave the #if0 commit
in my compile clone.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

  Last update: 2008-11-03 16:37    [W:0.091 / U:0.592 seconds]