SubjectRe: oops/warning report for the week of November 26, 2008
Date
On Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:52 am Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > Rank 8: mtrr_trim_uncached_memory (warning)
> > Reported 227 times (619 total reports)
> > There is a high number of machines where our MTRR checks
> > trigger. I suspect we are too picky in accepting the MTRR
> > configuration.
>
> the warning here means: "the BIOS messed up but we fixed it up for
> you just fine".
>
> Should we print a DMI descriptor so that it can be tracked back to the
> bad BIOSen in question? Or should we (partially) silence the warning
> itself? Those BIOS bugs need fixing really: older kernels will boot up
> with bad MTRR settings - resulting in a super-slow system or other
> weirdnesses. We can tone down the message so that it doesnt show up in
> kerneloops.org. It's up to you.

I actually think we're doing something wrong here, since so many platforms
have this behavior. It's likely that there's an undocumented, additional
check needed to determine whether a slot is hot pluggable. Matthew Garrett
recently posted a patch to check for ACPI _RMV methods, which should be an
improvement. I'll be putting that into linux-next soon for testing.

  Last update: 2008-11-27 18:05    [W:0.056 / U:0.388 seconds]